017-316 Registered Nurse – Med/Surg
MEDICAL SURGICAL/CRITICAL CARE REGISTERED NURSE – 72 Hours Bi-Weekly 1st Shift
REPORTS TO: Medical Surgical Director
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
The professional nurse is a practitioner responsible for assessing, planning, prioritizing, organizing, administering and evaluating patient care for a group of patients on the unit. The nurse is accountable for cooperation with unit management in the coordination of patient care and services.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS
1. Ability to read, write legibly and comprehend the written and spoken word in English; basic computer literacy and ability to effectively learn new software programs required.
2. Hear alarms/phones; clearly visualize monitors/fine print/patients physical characteristics; process information appropriately (critical thinking ability).
3. All sensory skills (speech, vision, smell, touch, hearing) required, corrected to near normal range. Absence of color blindness required.
4. Mental and physical health necessary to meet demands of the department.
5. Mental ability to cope with and function effectively during stressful/emergency situations.
6. Communication: effectively communicates with patients/staff, physicians and visitors verbally or in written documentation.
7. Remains calm, polite and positive with others when under pressure.
8. Avoids excessive use of unscheduled absences as defined by hospital policy.
9. In absence of the Medical Surgical Director supervised by the Hospital Supervisor.
1. Exemplifies good customer service.
2. Regular reliable attendance.
3. Ability to get along with others.
4. Demonstrates proficient use of email.
5. Utilizes assessment skills and techniques to determine patient needs and condition upon admission and on an on-going basis, responding appropriately.
6. Completes and documents the nursing assessment on admission and ongoing in a thorough and accurate manner as defined by unit policy.
7. Assesses the patient/family education needs and most effective methods.
8. Regularly rounds on assigned patients and additional patients as needed.
9. Initiate, develop and document patient care plan based on patients assessment and medical diagnosis and setting priorities for nursing action in accordance with the units policy on time frames.
10. Review and document on care plans and education at least once every shift and as necessary.
11. Develop patient teaching and discharge plan as necessary.
12. Collaborates with other health team members in planning and providing care.
13. Delegates care to team members based on complexity, staff education and competency, state regulations and policy and procedure.
14. Provides safe and comprehensive age appropriate nursing care according to state regulations and hospital policy and procedure.
15. Documents patient assessment findings, physical/psychosocial responses to nursing intervention and progress toward problem resolution.
16. Establish care priorities based on patient problems; communicate with staff, patient problem/concerns/changes in condition. Notify physician promptly regarding concerns.
17. Must be proficient in medication administration, including IV therapy, as evidenced by lack of medication errors. Reports medication errors.
18. Perform procedures accurately, completely, timely and safely according to established policy and procedure and physician orders.
19. Provide care with minimal supervision in a timely manner.
20. Maintains a safe environment for patients. Uses safety precautions appropriately.
21. Initiates emergency resuscitation measure according to resuscitation protocols.
22. Demonstrates understanding and utilization of Standard Precautions, asepsis and infection control procedures.
23. Maintains strict confidentiality according to Cameron Memorial Community HospitalÃ�Â¢Ã¯Â¿Â½Ã¯Â¿Â½s HIPAA policy.
24. Responsible for establishing and maintaining healthy interpersonal relationships with all staff members and demonstrate support of administration.
25. Recognizes the importance RN participation in Performance Improvement initiatives are for the on-going delivery of care, as outlined in the Cameron Memorial Community Hospital Guiding Principle and Values.
26. Abides by all federal, state and hospital laws, regulations and guidelines.
27. Abides by the Cameron Memorial Community Hospital Compliance Program.
28. Attends at least two continuing education offerings per year in addition to annual unit required competency learning.
29. Attends department meetings for information exchange and stays current with department practice.
30. Demonstrates proficiency of Pyxis and electronic health record system.
1. Graduate of an accredited professional nursing program, BSN preferred.
2. Current RN license in the State of Indiana.
3. Current CPR or CPR certification within 6 months from date of hire.
Job description: M/S/CRITICAL CARE/ REGISTERED NURSE
4. Minimum of 1 year critical care experience preferred.
5. Successful completion of Basic Arrhythmia course within 1 year from date of hire.
6. ACLS certification within 1 year from date of hire (prerequisite is a Basic Arrhythmia course).
7. BLS within 6 months of hire.
Position Type : Full Time
Shift : Day
Ref Code: 316
Seth Berry – Executive Dir. of HR
416 E. Maumee St
Angola, IN 46703