Earth Day 2022
The health of the environment can have a direct impact on the health of our communities. As Earth Day approaches, Cameron encourages our staff, patients and the greater Steuben County community to observe Earth Day and identify changes – big or small – they can make to live greener and healthier.
Going outside is one of the easiest ways to celebrate Earth Day. Outdoor activities allow you to do two things: appreciate nature and strengthen your body. Ideas to consider:
- Walking, jogging, rollerblading or biking on the paved trail system that runs from Pokagon to Commons Park is a great way to get moving and enjoy the beautiful scenery. You can even bring some discs for the disc golf course in Commons Park.
- Participate in a 5K or 10K. Many of these events are created for all types of runners, from those who are serious to those who are just starting out. Even if you plan to walk, training for and participating in a 5K or 10K is a good way to get moving.
- Stay home and invite friends and family over to play Frisbee, cornhole, ladder golf or Spikeball. These games can be played with more than one person or teams for some healthy competition.
- Gardening and outdoor chores are also good ways to get some exercise. These activities improve your body while also improving the earth!
Outdoor activities have so many benefits. They typically include more than twice the amount of movement as indoor activities, and they engage more of our senses. Smelling flowers, feeling the sun and breeze, and hearing birds chirp can help to reduce stress and improve your mood.
Create a Green First Aid Kit
Another way to celebrate Earth Day is to make your household more environmentally sustainable. For instance, you can make your first aid kit more eco-friendly with a few simple changes:
- Summertime brings cuts or scrapes from outdoor activities. Clean them up using organic cotton, paper tape and ointments in reusable containers. Band-Aids aren’t the best biodegradable material, but similar items are offered by eco-friendly brands.
- Aloe vera is great for treating minor sunburns. Instead of buying a new plastic bottle every summer, consider buying an aloe vera plant to keep in your home. They’re pretty too!
- Use household items to make hot and cold packs. A hot pack can be made from a clean sock and rice, and cold packs can be made with a resealable bag, one part rubbing alcohol and two parts water.
How Cameron is Helping the Environment
Cameron goes through a lot of supplies, but we do what we can to be green without compromising health and safety. Recycling the packaging from shipments is one of the biggest ways we participate in sustainable initiatives. Cardboard and plastic are recycled if they do not touch the patient or sterile field.
As technology progresses, we may start to see more environmentally friendly medical supplies, and Cameron is committed to evaluating and using those alternatives as they become available.
Taking care of our planet is vital to keeping us all safe and healthy. By making small substitutions in your everyday life, you’re doing your part to reduce waste and keep Earth beautiful.