Eating Mindfully During the Holidays

During the holiday season, it can be difficult to maintain your health goals, and it’s easy to overindulge. Keep reading to see what Cameron’s dietitian services have to say about eating mindfully this holiday season.

Healthy serving sizes for the holidays

It’s good to remember that everything is fine in moderation and that one day of holiday eating will not take away from other balanced days of eating. Here are some tips to keep in mind.

80/20 rule: According to the 80/20 rule, if 80% of the time you eat well-balanced meals, it is okay to indulge in foods you enjoy the other 20% of the time.

Plate method: The plate method can help with portion control during the holidays. In the traditional plate method, you start with a 9-inch plate, fill half the plate with nonstarchy vegetables, a quarter of the plate with protein and a quarter of the plate with carbohydrate-containing foods.

Slow it down: It typically takes about 20 minutes for your brain to realize that you are full. Eating more slowly and intentionally can help you better identify when you’ve eaten enough to feel satisfied.

To skip or to not skip: getting ready for the big meal

Cameron Hospital’s dietician services do not recommend skipping meals to save up for one meal. It is still important to have regular meals throughout the day, even during the holidays. This is especially important for those who may be monitoring their blood sugar.

Am I overeating?

While everyone is different, some signs that you’ve overeaten could be stomach pain, nausea, heartburn, acid reflux, bloating, gas, feeling tired or sluggish, or feeling generally uncomfortable. It is always best to eat regular portions of a meal, then wait about 20 minutes to see how you feel. Try not to eat when you are already full and no longer feeling hungry.

It’s a lifestyle change.

Mindful eating involves practice. If this is something you are not used to doing, it can take some time to adjust, and progress can feel difficult. If you are interested in making this lifestyle change, Cameron’s dietitian services are available. While creating each patient’s customized plan, a registered dietitian recognizes the patient’s preferences and takes budget into consideration. Not only can a dietitian help you create healthy meal plans, but they can also help you understand food labels so you can make healthy choices outside the doctor’s office.

If you are interested in setting up an appointment with Cameron’s dietitian services, call us.


Pin It on Pinterest

Share This