How to Tackle Eating Healthy During the Big Game
As the Big Game approaches, many of us look forward to a day full of friendship, funny commercials, and of course, delicious snacks. Coming out of the new year and our resolutions, events like these can throw us off of our more mindful eating choices. Let’s take a moment to find ways to make healthier choices and still enjoy a great night of football surrounded by those we love.
- Create a vibrant vegetable platter with a variety of colorful veggies and a light dip.
- Include hummus or a Greek yogurt-based dip for added protein and flavor.
- Skip sugary sodas and opt for infused water.
- Provide unsweetened iced tea or flavored sparkling water as refreshing alternatives.
- Limit your alcohol intake.
- Use smaller plates and bowls to encourage mindful eating.
- Pre-portion snacks to avoid mindlessly grazing throughout the game.
Try to bring your own homemade snacks and encourage your family and friends to step out of their comfort zone and try a new, delicious treat!
Cameron’s Dietician Hailey Meert added, “Try to keep a balanced plate in mind when selecting foods. Still take the food that you want but make sure to add the food that you need. For example, if you really want to have something higher in added sugars (dessert) remember to keep it in the proper portion and then add what you need fiber (veggies) and protein to make the plate more balanced.”
Sticking to your health goals at events like the Big Game is possible with a little extra preparation. No matter what team you’re rooting for, you can still be a winner and meet your healthy eating habits.